This is what drives the A1 and the “Cock O’ The North”. It’s our very own faithful replica of the Bassett-Lowke Improved Permag motor that appeared in around 1934-1935. The only changes are a modern armature with a copper commutator and a Neodymium rare earth magnet. Everything else- brushes, brush gear, pole pieces, bearings and insulators etc, are faithful replicas of the original design. What’s more, with the exception of the magnet, it’s all made in Melbourne. As a result of the improved magnet it delivers similar or greater power than the original, with lower current draw, and it will never lose its magnetic field strength.